The Borough of Malton was purchased by the Hon Thomas Watson Wentworth in 1713. Twelve generations later much of Malton is still owned by his descendants, the Naylor-Leylands, who hold the Fitzwilliam Malton Estate. From the outset the family invested heavily in Malton as they do to this day. Thomas’s son, the 1st Marquess of Rockingham, inherited in 1723. He funded extensive work to make the River Derwent navigable up to Malton. In 1739 he acquired York House and, the following year, the building we now know as the Talbot, later opening it as a hotel for those attending the races here. In 1749, a year before his death, he commissioned the work on the building of the Town Hall which still stands in the Market Place.